Take action. Every story you’ve ever connected with, every leader you’ve ever admired, every puny little thing that you’ve ever accomplished is the result of taking action. You have a choice. You can either be a passive victim of circumstance or you can be the active hero of your own life. – Bradley Whitford
Happy 2017 Gems!! Entering a new year can be one of the most exciting events for many of us as it gives us a perceived opportunity to begin again on a completely clean slate. New Year, New You anyone? It can also be a frightening time of reflection and uncertainty. Reflection on achievements and failures from the year prior and uncertainty of what lies ahead. 2017 for me, will be a year of ACTION! && you’re welcome to join me on this journey 😉 Here is a list of 6 steps I will be taking this year to stay grounded and push forward in the right direction.
- Set Long Term Goals: I have always been a long term kind of thinker. I should probably try to be more in the moment but my mind is always running. Set long term goals! Of course, nothing happens overnight but it’s important to have a vision in mind of where you want to be in the next 2, 3, 5 years and what you want to achieve. In order to achieve this, you need to put an action plan in place which will consist of short-term habits that you engage in every single day/week. These habits will be the foundation on which your empire stands.
- Stop making excuses: Just do it! Everything is about perspective. It’s important to realize that we are all responsible for our lives regardless of where we began, where we currently are and what our weaknesses are. Excuses, in my opinion, is a handicap. They limit us. The mind is a beautiful thing, it can either overcome us, or we can overcome it. One of my favorite quotes is one that I will always keep in mind this year, “Know the true value of time; snatch, seize and enjoy every moment of it. No idleness, no laziness, no procrastination: never put off for tomorrow what you can do today.” – Phillip Stanhope
- Keep an open mind: Commit to doing away with a fixed mindset. Life is about development and growth. Try to acquire new knowledge, don’t be afraid to change preconceived perceptions and learn new skills. We are lucky to be living in one of the most amazing times in history. We are the writers of our own stories and the key to our own successes or failures.
- Know that there is no such thing as Perfect: This one is something that I struggle with personally. I am a bit of a perfectionist and if I feel that my work doesn’t live up to my personal vision, then I get really down on myself. Fear of failure or even success often limits and prevents us from living up to our full potentials. It’s important to remember that perfect is good, but done is better.
- Give up the toxic ones: You are a reflection of the people you surround yourself with. Life is way too short for negative energy. Surround yourself with the people who bring you up, inspire and motivate you to become a better version of your current self. Don’t be afraid to keep those toxic people at a distance.
- Know that not everyone will like you and it’s OK: Wouldn’t it be nice if we all got along and humanity achieved world peace? Yes, I’d really love that too but unfortunately, there are way too many differences of opinion out there and that’s OK. It’s easy to get distracted by the negative opinions of people about us. It’s even easier to get consumed in trying to please these people. Just remain authentic to yourself and you will attract like-minded people.
I hope you Gems carry these ideas with you on your journey into 2017 and I wish you the best of luck in achieving your goals and ambitions. Just remember that I will be right there with you, working on improving myself every single day.